CONTROL OF TEMPERATURE
- As a rule, a silicone element requires some form of temperature control in order to ensure long element life and provide the desired temperature.
- Because of the very small mass of a silicone element it will quickly come up in temperature, so control equipment with a relatively fast response is needed.
- Where surface loads and temperatures are low and intervals between on and off long, electro-mechanic-al thermostats of the bimetal type are often adequate for the purpose of limiting temperature.
- Where surface loads and temperatures are higher, electronic thermostats are to be preferred.
- If a silicone element is subjected to stress in the shape of continual cooling and heating-up phases because of short intervals between on and off states, the life of the element will be significantly reduced. To avoid this, the best thing to do is apply the element power output proportionally or use a soft-start regulator.
- Thermostats, thermo-fuses and sensors of various types such as Pt-100, thermocouples and thermistors, these can all be applied directly to the silicone elements, in accordance with customer specification.
- Where you locate the sensors and thermostats is critical to the accuracy of the temperature control. Generally speaking, the greater the distance between sensor and heating element, the greater will be the variations in element temperature.
- When heating a liquid held in a container, it is advisable to use a sensor mounted with pocket for temperature control, together with an overheat protection device mounted on the elements.
Consultancy and construction assignments
Värmekabelteknik has the specialist knowledge and experience required for heating-foil applications, including both silicone element and control device expertise.
We can offer consultancy services and design, construction and delivery of complete installations.
We build control cabinets of all sizes according to customer specifications using components and enclosures made by well-known suppliers.
Alternative control devices
- Electronic thermostat with NTC/PT-100-sensor
- Electronic thermostat with temperature display
- Process regulator with one to ten channels and PC-communication.
- PC-based thyristor-control devices communicating remotely via mobile or fixed telephone (logging of current, temperature, wind and moisture, to name a few parameters).
- Cabinets controlled from a computer sub-centre (DUC).
Alarm functions on cabinet front, alarm panels, PC network operation, dialling wireless alarm devices
- Fuse blown/Circuit-breaker tripped alarms
- Earth-leakage circuit-breaker tripped alarms
- Temperature alarm
- Over-current/Interruption alarm, and other alarms.
All types of enclosure designs
- IP20 – IP65
- EX-classified enclosures and components
- Enclosure materials: plastic, metal, aluminium, stainless steel
- For mounting on wall, floor or on foundation designed for ground installation.