INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION FOR HEATING CABLE WITH A SINGLE LENGTH ALONG A PIPE
- Fix the cable end at the pipe and put the cable reel on a holder. Reel out the cable so that it doesn’t turns or that loops are formed.
- Ensure that the cable follows the pipe when crossing obstacles. For example, an upright or a pipe support which passes or when pipes cross each other.
WARNING: Be careful to avoid things as:
- pull the cable over sharp edges.
- the cable free with violence if it get caught while it is installed.
- Handle the heating cable so that it gets damaged mechanically, for example by smash or walking traffic.
- Consider that other contractors taking part in the same application maybe is without knowledge about the nature of electrical nature.
- When reaching the end of the circuit, secure the heating cable against the pipe by using a glass fibre tape or another material corresponding to the requirements of the application.
- (If the heating cable shall be spiral winded, go to step 4A). Begin to fix the cable against the pipe every three-meter. Place the cable on the lower half of the pipe at the placement “5 or 7 á clock”.
4A Spiral winding of the heating cable.
An easy way to handle the spiraling factor is: A1.1 spiral factor means install 1.1m heating cable every meter of the pipe. Then begin to mark the pipe in sections of 3 meter, measure of 3m x spiraling factor and fix this point at the first 3 meter mark and let the cable hang down under the pipe, repeat until the whole length of the pipe is laid.
4B Grasp in the middle of the hanging heating cable and wind the cable on the pipe. Fix the middle point with glass fabric tape and level out the cable so that it obtains an even distribution and a good fix-up against the pipe. Fix with a distance of one meter.
- At details that requires extra supply of heat (pipe supports, vents, pumps, restrictions etc). Fix the heating cable against the pipe exactly before the detail. Refer to sketches to determine the amount of cables you shall install on the detail. Pull this cable to a loop, attach the heating cable on the other side of the detail and continue to fix the cable down against the pipe as before.
- Fix the heating cable in regular intervals along the pipe and distribute and fix the cable against details. Make sure that approx. 20cm heating cable stretches out where the end termination shall be carried out and sufficient heating cable length to carry out a connection end and connect to junction box.
- It is important with enough amount of heating cable on vents, flanges etc. Use your judgement to determine if the detail can be dismounted without damage the heating application. Self-limiting heating cables are very flexible and can be overlapped to facilitate the installation. Warning: Do never cross parallel resistive or series resistive heating cables! By installing self-limiting heating cable in this way, it can easily be removed from the detail to undertake repairs or modifications in the pipe application without damage the heating cable application.
WARNING: Do never cross parallel resistive or series resistive heating cables.
By installing self-limiting heating cable in this way, it can easily be removed from the detail to undertake repairs or modifications in the pipe application without damage the heating cable application.
Installation of more than one heating cable on a pipe length
There are different reasons for installing more than one heating cable on a pipe.
- At larger pipe dimensions and/or to manage the required power of a pipe.
- When building a system where all functions is of such importance that you choose to install a spare cable as back-up.
There are several procedures. One is to use two or more heating cable reels and feed one cable from each. This method works for all type of pipings. The disadvantage with this method is that it can increase material waste by leaving useless lengths from two reels.
The other way is to feed both cables from one reel. This method is normally the easiest for a straight, simple tubing.
Feed the cables from two reels
- At each detail where extra heating cable shall be mounted, the easiest way is to do this from only one heating cable.
- At pumps and flanges and other places where dismounting can be necessary, must extra cable be left from all lengths.
Installation of several heating cable from one reel
Is carried out in the same way as above but here the cable must be cut to lay the other run, which requires that you have ensured extra cable for details and connection-/end termination ends before cutting.
Please note! When you reached the end of the pipe, take some extra cable for connection- and end termination, which shall be mounted and carried out.
Installation with back-up length
The purpose with a back-up system is that each cable can emit sufficient with power for a normal function even if one of the cables should fail. Therefore must each cable be installed so that it covers the whole application.
IMPORTANT TO THINK ON BEFORE YOU ORDER!
On pipes with smaller diameter than 25mm it can be difficult to attach two heating cables with good contact against the pipe.
Choose a cable with higher power/m or increase the thickness of the insulation as compensation.
- All equipment must be earthed.